This post may be teetering somewhere closer to the theological world than the one of health and nutrition. At least that was my first thought. Then I began to wonder if perhaps the reason so many of us are such poor examples of what it means to eat and drink to the glory of God is because the latter world has yet to collide and fuse with the former. What we believe about God doesn't affect the way we think about food. An unbeliever can certainly lead a healthy lifestyle just as well as a Christian can. However, his motives will be clearly for his own happiness and wellbeing. How sad when a Christian has no higher motive than these. For the sake of being perfectly clear, when I say “a Christian” I, by all means, am referring to myself.
One of the best things about living in
I was almost to the airport on the crowded train when I heard the unmistakable rasp of an older African-American male missing a few teeth. Behind me the voice said, “Anyone know who feed the homeless in
The visit with my friend was, as usual, too short and I was back on Marta before I knew it. It was crowded again but this time with a plethora of life, color, language and culture. I tried to keep my eyes on my book but they would occasionally be caught probing the characters in the dialogue surrounding me. I finally had been swept back into the world of “Anne” when a voice from maybe two rows behind me rose from the center isle above the chatter, “Y’all got any spare change?” It was a woman this time, “Anybody got any change so I can get me some food?” I smiled. There was still a can of pineapple, a cup of applesauce and some granola left in my bag. I leaned toward the woman a little bit hoping I could catch her attention without the rest of the trains. Her eyes stared straight ahead. She wasn’t looking at anyone. “Anybody got any spare change? I really need to get some food.” The sudden silence stared at her but no one else did. “Ma’am,” I said in my very timid non-theatrical voice which she did not hear. “Ma’am,” slightly more forceful this time, she heard my approach as I reached for the yellow lunchbox made brunchbox at my feet, “I have some food here you can...” I had it about halfway up when she screeched “Don’t answer me like that bitch!” I could feel my little white face turning to match the red of my shirt. I knew that as a little red person, I would be in the definite minority on the train. “You said you needed some food ma’am, I just thou…” “Man, you eat it. You eat it bitch.” Her voice became louder and angrier with every phrase. “Don’t talk to me like that. Don’t talk to me like that!” After smiling and muttering a quick “okay” I had my head buried back with Anne before she finished her statements and hauled it off to the next train. The commotion that followed made me wish I had a tape recorder. Little pockets of people all over the car exploded in “She didn’t want food, she just wanted money to buy her boos,” and “Ignorant woman. That lady was nice enough to offer her some food, she didn’t want no food,” I heard in a thick urban tongue, “she just wanted her drug money.”
So anyone reading this or riding the train with me can assess the woman’s side of the story. She wanted my “change” not my food. The man on the first train may have been very different. I will never know. However, that’s not the reason I write this story. I will never see someone and know their thoughts. I can not look in a person’s eyes and see their heart. I can only give them mine with my hands and my mouth. My responsibility with food does not rest in whether poor people will take it or not, it rests in me giving it to them with a whole and happy heart. It does not lie in thinking only about food, it lies in understanding to the best of my ability what I put in my body. It should not abide with legalistic restriction but with liberated and wise moderation.
My responsibility to fellow human beings is not to be angered for being embarrassed on a train but to be sad for a soul who thinks “change” will fill her Hunger.

2 comments:
bethany, you know that i am not a "reader." give me a movie any day, but it is few and far between that you will catch me reading.
you need to be a serious writer. i actually read your stuff with anticipation of every next word. i love it! you are so good at this! please write me a book so i can become a reader!!!!
your cuz
tuesday has come and gone. i need a "healthy" fix.
Post a Comment