May 7, 2008

Why Bad People Do Good Things

I saw a book today entitled "Why Good People Do Bad Things."

I thought I would write a book called "Why Bad People Do Good Things."

Then I realized that no one would read it.

Most people, including many who would call themselves Christians, think that they are good in themselves.  Oh, "bad people" exist in the world but rarely will someone claim to be a part of that grouping.

The bar for a "bad person" lies in a funny little grey area.  Ask someone who considers themselves "good" where it is and they'll probably tell you it's a few steps below whatever happens to be the worst thing he or she has done.  "Bad" lives in "I've never..." land.
       "I've never stolen anything."
      "I've never had an affair."
      "I've never killed anybody."
       "I've never done drugs."
But I've never heard these offerings:
        "I've never yelled at anyone."
       "I've never looked at another mans wife and imagined her in my bed."
        "I've never said anything mean to anyone."
      "I've never taken one look at someone and assumed I knew their character."
       "I've never eaten too much."

Because we've all done those things, or something like them.  And if everyone's done it, it can't be bad.  Because then... that would make everyone bad.  Which would mean the world is doomed.  Or at least - in need of a Savior.

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.*

So the question really is, why do bad people do good things?  If we're all guilty of the bad, where does the good come from?  God must allow everyone to experience a certain amount of grace.  There must be a God who gives good gifts to all of humanity.  Not evenly.  Not fairly.  Not because of good humans.  Because God in God's goodness saw fit to do so.

Unless, and forgive me for digressing here, there aren't actually "good people" or "bad people" but only "good actions" and "bad actions".  There are only people, all people, who in each of us have the capacity for bad actions.  And with one bad action, one law broken, we break every law -like one rotten egg mixed with two dozen good ones.  Only through God's pure goodness and common grace do we produce good actions.  Because the world is not doomed.  Because there is a Savior.

Good people?  Bad people?  I don't know.

Maybe my book title will be Why People are People and God is God.

*James 2:10
 

1 comment:

Britt said...

Awesome blog Bethany. I agree with you...we think we're perfect. By "we" I mean...the Christians. We feel that since we have Jesus we must be perfect. Since we have good morals, we must be perfect. The thing is...yes we strive to be like Christ, but we will NEVER reach his perfection. We've already screwed up long before we found Christ and let him into our lives...we're sinners...we're selfish...and so that view of perfection is eternally flawed. We think we're good so we can never be bad. That's so far from the truth. Way to go. I didn't know you had a blog but I see it now and I'm very entrigued.