-a journal Of sorts Of my life Of late-
We made the big move from Marietta into the heart of midtown Atlanta. From a commercial apartment built sometime in the 80s with 3 windows and neighbors who like to smoke in the breezeways and smoke that likes to seep under your door and into your head, to the second floor of a house built in 1920 with plenty of natural light and color and two neighbors underneath us one of whom has lots of tattoos and plays the piano beautifully and one who works in a tea shop. We've been here about two weeks now and are tremendously happy with it and almost done with the unpacking.
Last month I was temping in an office. Alphabetizing endless amounts of files while finishing up Metamorphoses with Georgia Shakespeare which was completely lovely and reminded me why I do what I do and why I'm willing to file papers sometimes to do it. This month I'm teaching acting and improv at a drama camp with Synchronicity Performance Group while playing Tiny Tim in Mrs. Bob Cratchit's Wild Christmas Binge with Essential Theatre. A Christmas in July fiesta, if you will, and I'm positive you will. Eric has been cast in a show at Jewish Theatre of the South, to mount this fall (that gorgeous nose is our bread and butter) and is currently rehearsing Summerhouse in April in which he dons the most charming Australian accent.
I've been riding my bike to work every day. How midtown. (And how midtown to say "how midtown".) It's about a 30 minute ride... I don't know what the mileage ends up being exactly. Mostly, I didn't want to buy the $50 parking pass so I thought I'd "burn fat, not oil" for a while. When I ride on the bridge over 75/85 I look down at the traffic which looks to be almost dead it is so still and sing "don't you wish you were a hippie like me" to the tune of "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" only the syllables don't match the tune quite as well but I don't care because I'm riding a bike and no one can hear me.
I read the play Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl. It's wonderful. Some of the stage directions go like this: they see each other, the whole world falls away or peaches, plums and raspberries fall into the river. Some of my favorite lines go: what happiness it would be to cry and (paraphrased, I don't have the script at hand) weddings are for fathers and daughters, the mothers dress up and try to look young but a wedding is for a father and his daughter. That's the day you stop being married to each other. You should read it if you get the chance. I also read Doubt by John Patrick Shanley which is very interesting as well. It's very open ended... I think. Like life... some think.
My mom and brother James are in Honduras this week. That's pretty neat. Abigail's been calling me from her job at a camp in the mountains. I'm pretty proud of her for embracing that outdoorsy girl she always had inside of her and being used by the Lord there.
In the beginning God created. I love that.
christmas time
13 years ago

2 comments:
Congrats on almost finishing the unpacking! I've seen the boxes... that's quite an accomplishment!
(SIGH!) good to catch up on your life, even if this is a month old. hahaha.
i miss you beffy! i feel a dry spell has hit me and i need some water. (Dry spell=me not seeing you in forever and water=you). i take it you didn't get the job in gainesville. man! i was praying for that one. guess God has something even bigger in mind (maybe it is that HUGE house we all live in together one day!)
can't wait to see you again.
me
Post a Comment