Mar 31, 2007

Eww Gross, This is Delicious!

This post probably won't have quite the controversy and feedback as the last one. However, I have a delicious and healthy recipe that I must share with the world. Or you, at least. It has some ingredients that I did not like (mushrooms and black beans) beforehand but I loved them in this recipe. I was afraid to try it at first because I'm usually afraid to try things that include ingredients that I don't normally keep stocked in my pantry but my brilliant streak of courageousness really paid off this time, "toot toot!" (that's the sound of me tooting my own horn. Cute huh?). I got this recipe out of Cooking Light magazine. If the veggies are already cut up it takes around 30 minutes from start to finish.

Southwestern Roasted Vegetable Couscous

  • 1 cup uncooked couscous
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 (16 oz. can) fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup diced red bell pepper (I used green because the red will cost you your first born child this time of year and I don't have any kids yet)
  • 1 cup presliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 (11 oz.) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Place the couscous on a jelly-roll pan, and bake at 425 for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Bring water and broth to a boil in a saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and set aside.
  3. While couscous stands, combine bell pepper and next 9 ingredients (bell pepper through garlic) in a large bowl, and stir well. Arrange vegetable mixture on jelly-roll pan; bake at 425 for 12 minutes. Combine couscous, roasted vegetables, onions, and beans in a large bowl, and stir well. Yield 4 servings.
It's as easy as that. I also put in some broccoli and red-onion one time, so it's good with different variations of veggies. It's pretty spicy but in a delicious kind of way. Yum, enjoy!

No comments: